It’s an undeniable fact that our teeth are a unique part of our bodies. They are one of the primary things that anybody meeting you for the first time notices in your personality. The set of teeth you have is unique in its own way, and there’s always a new way to explore it further.
Teeth are the hardest substance in our bodies. Unlike your bones, the teeth do not grow back when you lose them over time or by accident. So it gets vital to keep them healthy by maintaining an excellent oral regime and giving them the proper care they deserve.
In this article, we have tried to give you a brief up on some fun facts you probably don’t know yet!
1. Did you know? The saliva in your mouth helps you to taste the food and drinks you consume. Without it, you would not be able to taste anything.
2. Like you can’t count the people living on Earth, the exact same way, you can’t even start to count the millions of bacteria that are living inside your mouth while you are sleeping or not consuming anything.
3. Tooth decay is the most common disease in children. Studies have shown that this disease is seen in adults as well. However, you should know that tooth decay is preventable.
4. More than 65% of children consume candies in the United States. Candies are the root cause of most of the dental problems in children.
5. Did you Know? The new-borns have teeth even before they are born, but they don’t erupt until the baby reaches the age of six to twelve months.
6. This is a general fact that everyone should be aware of: adults have 32 teeth and children have 20 teeth.
7. When you go swimming, you shouldn’t EVER drink the pool water! Pool water contains chlorine which wears down the dental enamel. In layman terms: the outer layer that works as a protection, wears down.
8. Insufficient care of your oral health might result in diseases such as diabetes, heart problems and osteoporosis.
9. Did you know? More than 60% of middle-aged adults have lost, at least, one permanent tooth once in their lifetime.
10. When you brush every day, you minimise the risk of tooth decay by 25%. Brush twice everyday!
11. Plaque gives rise to tooth decay, gum diseases and a buildup of harmful bacteria in the mouth.
12. Did you know? Your tongue is the only muscle in your body which is not supported by the skeleton, and it is considered as the most active muscle in the body.
13. On an average, women smile 62 times and men only 8 times a day.
14. The state of Vermont has a law that says that women can not wear false teeth without written permission of their spouse as it is considered to be illegal. Crazy, right?
15. Did you know? Birds don’t have teeth, and a lot of them just swallow the stones or any hard food.
Now that you are aware of all the fun facts of Dentistry! Do share these with these with your friends, family coworkers or even strangers and see them smile in surprise.